Present Simple

Present Simple

The present simple tense is very important and used a lot in English. The present tense is the base form of the verb. This tense is used to talk about things in general, including general truths, habits, permanent situations and fixed arrangements.

Unlike the present continuous tense, the present simple tense is not used to express actions happening at the moment of speaking.

Examples

I sometimes go away at weekends.

She is beautiful.

Kim lives in London

The children go to the zoo every month.

Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.

Affirmative: verb “to talk

I/ you/ we/ they talk a lot.

He/she/it talks a lot.

Examples:

You speak good German.

She likes dancing.

Negative: verb “to talk”

We use do/ does to form the negative:

I/ you/ we/ they do not talk a lot.

He/she/it does not talk a lot.

Examples:

We don’t understand him.

It doesn’t work.

Interrogative: verb “to talk”

We use do/ does to form questions:

Do       I/ you/ we/ they       talk a lot?

Does   he/she/it                    talk a lot?

Examples:

Do you live here?

Does she know you?

Use of present simple

General facts

The earth moves around the sun.

Bees make honey.

Frequency

How often does she visit you?

She usually visits us.

Permanent situations

I live in Paris.

I work for this company

Ü  These verbs are normally used in the present simple tense:

Hear, see, smell and taste.

For example:

Can you hear me?

This cake tastes wonderful!

Third person singular spelling rules (he/she/it)

·         Verbs always end in -s in the third person singular.
He drives, she speaks, it drinks, etc.

·         Verbs ending in “ch”, “sh”, “ss”, “x”, add -es to the verbs.

She teaches/ she watches/ he pushes/ he passes/ she fixes.

·         Verbs ending in -y preceded by consonant , change the -y into –ies.

It flies, she fries, she cries, she studies, etc.

·         Verbs ending in -y preceded by vowel , add -s.
He pays, he plays, he prays, etc.

Examples:

My little son goes to school every day.

I don’t work on evenings.

He is the best mechanic. He always fixes my car.

The cat enjoys playing with me. 

Comments